One of our favourite meals to prepare during a camping weekend is the breakfasts, and we like finding new and exciting recipes to treat ourselves to whilst out camping. One of our trusted and beloved meals is a Spanish omelette or a Frittata as it’s also known. This is a real simple and easy recipe to follow and you can change it up to suit your own tastes. Have a look at what we use in our version and let us know if you’ve made your own frittata after seeing ours….
Eggs (1 egg per person)
3 Potatoes, peeled
Chopped bacon pieces
2 onions, sliced into rings
Three types of cheese i.e. mozzarella, cheddar and feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Add any of these according to taste: mushrooms, peppers, salami, olives, chopped spinach etc
(Most of the prep work for this meal is done in advance)
- Boil the potatoes till soft and once cooled, dice them into small pieces.
- Fry the bacon pieces till soft
- If you’re using mushrooms, you can also fry them in advance.
- Fry the onions and garlic in some olive oil in your pan that you are using for the dish.
- Add the bacon pieces and potatoes to the onion and garlic mix, and you can also now add the peppers, mushrooms and salami, if you’re adding them to your meal.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together and season with salt and pepper. Keep in mind that the feta cheese will add salt to the meal as well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bacon, potato and onions mix, without stirring the mixture.
- Now you layer your three different types of cheeses, starting with the feta cheese
- Turn the heat down very low so that the eggs don’t get burnt while cooking, and cover the pan so that the heat stays inside. We use foil to cover our pan.
- Cook until the eggs are set.
We serve the frittata in slices and with a slice of freshly made toast. It’s a very filling dish so you shouldn’t need more than 1 slice of toast per person.