If you’re a South African braaier, you would have seen some version of the famous Braai-Paai by now. It’s one of the most versatile side dishes out there if you’re planning a braai as you can use almost anything in your camping fridge as a filling. Think different types of cheese, bacon, onions, and mushrooms etc, the combinations are endless. But then someone went a step further and made the Braai-Paai into a pudding, which was absolutely genius. We recently made our own version of the Sweet Braai-Paai Pudding and I thought that I could share with you how we made it…
Two packs of Puff Pastry dough
Two cans of cooked condensed milk (caramel)
Two cans of apple slices
Cream or Ice cream
* Medium sized folding braai grid, sprayed with Spray n Cook, or something similar
- Place puff pastry dough on a dry surface and lightly dust it and the rolling pin with flour. Roll the pastry out until it’s roughly the size of your braai grid.
- Spread the caramel onto the rolled out pastry dough, leaving roughly two centimetres untouched at the edges.
- Lift the pastry dough onto the opened braai grid. Once it’s in position, you can start arranging the apple slices onto the caramel, until you’ve filled up most empty spaces on the dough.
- Take the second roll of puff pastry, and after rolling it out, put it on top of the first piece of dough, now topped with caramel and apple slices.
- Pinch the two pieces of dough together all around the edges of the paai, to prevent the caramel from dripping into your fire.
- To give the crust a super shine, you can brush it with one egg or egg white beaten with a little water before you put your sweet braai-paai on the fire.
- The fire will be at its best heat to bake your Braai-Paai right after you’ve removed your meat from the grid. This way the pudding will be baking whilst you’re enjoying your dinner and be ready to eat by the time you’re done. Turn the braai grid over every now and then to prevent the crust from getting charred, and you’ll know it’s ready when it turns a lovely brown colour.
- Best served warm with either whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
This is such a quick and easy dessert to prepare, and your family will be begging for seconds, as it is really delicious! You can also change up your ingredients, maybe try adding marshmallows instead of the caramel, and add in a sprinkle of nuts, there’s no limits to the possibilities. I hope you also enjoy this pudding, we loved it!